background

Monday, April 22, 2013

Life Story -- Courting -- Grandma Anna

Written Monday, February 18th, 2008

Tell a courtship story about your parents.  How did they meet?

"My mother was born in St. Johns to a very active church family.  My Dad came with his mother and sister and brothers to St Johns from Spencer, West Virginia.  They had joined the church there.  One of the St Johns missionaries taught them the gospel and suggested they move to St Johns where my dad could work at Whitings Saw Mill to earn enough for lumber to make his mother and family a house, which he did.  Earnest Whiting was the missionary from St. Johns. 
"I imagine they met at church.  Whitings wanted him to go with their daughter, Minnie, but he only had eyes for my beautiful mother.  She was quiet and very reserved.  Her family didn't want her to go with him, but she would sneak out the window and they would visit in the backyard..  Then she went back in the window, very quietly, of course.  I don't know how long they courted because I don't know when they moved to St. Johns.  They were married August 17, 1917."



No comments:

Post a Comment